Michigan Opera Theatre Jobs & Part-Time Opportunities
Michigan Opera Theatre, a non-profit organization, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Michigan Opera Theatre is supported by private donations, foundation and corporate grants, the State of Michigan through the Michigan Council for the Arts and Cultural Affairs, and by the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal Agency.
Learn how you can become a volunteer at Michigan Opera Theatre.
Assistant Technical Director
Michigan Opera Theatre seeks an Assistant Technical Director. This is a 9 month, seasonal position (September- June.)The Assistant Technical Director is part of a three-member technical direction team responsible for the planning, supervision and management of productions and events at the Detroit Opera House. The ATD will assume responsibility for stage operations on assigned events and productions and may have opportunities to technical direct productions.
For opera and dance productions (approx. 10-12 per year), the ATD will:
- Assist with show planning (materials ordering, scheduling, etc.)
- Assist in drafting plans/sections and elevations as necessary
- Share in supervising the DOH union crew during work calls
- Share in maintaining show paperwork such as line schedules and work calls
- May serve as TD on MOT Children’s Operas (or other productions as appropriate)
- Assist in arranging transportation logistics for all productions
The Detroit Opera House, in addition to the opera and dance productions, hosts many events throughout the year ranging from weddings and lectures to Broadway touring shows. For DOH events the ATD is responsible for assisting with:
- Advancing and supervising stage operations of events, scheduling union crews & coordination between events & productions
- Assisting in setup and execution of in-house productions and events
- Assist with setup and take-down of audio equipment for non-stage events
- Maintain Stage Equipment (maintain records, schedule repair & maintenance by union crew/ outside vendors as necessary)
- Maintain accurate inventories of Stage equipment
- Assist in managing warehouse spaces
This position requires weekend and evening hours. Weekly schedule varies.
Salary competitive, benefit package offered.
Search open until position filled.
Dan Brinker, Technical Director
Michigan Opera Theatre
Applications may be by post or e-mail and should include cover letter, resume, references and contact information.
Michigan Opera Theatre is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified persons will be considered regardless of race, gender, sexual orientation, etc.
The Technical Assistant is a full-time, SEASONAL position in the production department of the Michigan Opera Theatre reporting directly to the Technical Director.
- Maintaining shop stocks
- Purchasing/pick-up and delivery of equipment, tools, and materials
- Some planning and organizational responsibilities
- Overseeing two vehicles (van and 24’ truck)
- Assist with maintaining warehouse spaces
Assistant must be a dependable self-starter capable of working independently and as a part of a team. Ability to maintain professional demeanor in fast paced, potentially stressful work situations is necessary.
- Valid driver’s license, good driving record.
- Basic computer skills
- Experience with or willingness to learn to drive 24’ truck.
- Ability to carry packages up to 50 lbs and moving cases/crates on wheels.
- Good attitude: ability to work with staff at all levels of the organization, willingness to learn.
- Accurate record-keeping for purchasing, shipping, and receiving.
- Experience in Technical Theatre helpful but not required.
- Additional responsibilities may be added depending on work load and applicant’s experience.
Schedule is flexible-generally business hours expected, some evening and weekend hours are necessary.
Typical dates of employment (varies)
March through May
October through December
Interested persons should send a letter and résumé to:
Dan Brinker, Technical Director \
Michigan Opera Theatre
Detroit, MI 48226
Michigan Opera Theatre is an equal opportunity employer.
Sell Subscriptions for MOT
Be a voice for the Michigan Opera Theatre.
Looking for a few outstanding phone reps to call opera patrons for subscriptions. This is a part-time position. Mondays-Thursdays, 5:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m. (availability to start as early as 3:00 preferred) and Saturday mornings.
Creative, exciting atmosphere.
Ideal second job. Ideal job for recently retired professional.
Perks include Free Tickets.
If you are a great communicator, motivated and dependable, please call (313) 961-3500, option 6, extension 3208, and leave a message.
Similar experience preferred but not necessary. A passion for the Arts, and for Opera in particular, a plus!
Parking Center Staff
The Herman Frankel | Opera House Parking Center is accepting applicants for the positions of cashier, attendant, and flagger. Call Bob or Paul at (313) 965-4052.
Maintenance, Ushers, Bar Staff and Security
To apply for part-time maintenance, security, bar staff or staff usher positions, please pick up an application at the security desk at the Madison Avenue stage door entrance.
All other applicants please send your resume to:
Detroit Opera House
Detroit, MI 48226
You can also fax your resume to 313.237.3412.
Thank you for your interest in Michigan Opera Theatre and the Detroit Opera House!