Michigan Opera Theatre Jobs & Part-Time Opportunities
Michigan Opera Theatre, a non-profit organization, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Michigan Opera Theatre is supported by private donations, foundation and corporate grants, the State of Michigan through the Michigan Council for the Arts and Cultural Affairs, and by the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal Agency.
Learn how you can become a volunteer at Michigan Opera Theatre.
Assistant Director of Operations
The Assistant Director of Operations works as a strategic business partner to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) in the effective operation of the Detroit Opera House. Through a respectful, constructive and energetic style, guided by a desire to provide consistently outstanding experiences to all patrons in the Detroit Opera House, as well as a need to ensure a positive, supportive and creative culture internally, the Assistant Director of Operations provides day to day leadership that supports the mission of Michigan Opera Theatre. The Assistant Director will maintain a professional manner when dealing with all constituencies and always preserve a high level of integrity and professionalism.
- Participate in directing the operations and resources needed to manage the Opera House as Michigan’s premier venue, and the Parking Center as a top-quality resource for patrons.
- Work closely with leadership to establish and supervise operational systems for the facility, including safety procedures and technical training.
- Work closely with the CAO & Facilities Manager to oversee capital projects and new construction as necessary.
- Participate in the execution of the Detroit Opera House Master Plan.
- Work closely with other team members to ensure that the maintenance and upkeep of MOT’s physical facilities is sufficient to maintain and/or improve operational excellence, aesthetics, ambiance, safety, accessibility and excellent experiences.
- Ensure that customer service/patron relations standards are met and exceeded to ensure the highest level of experiences for our guests
- Serve as Manager on Duty for events as scheduled. Participate in coordinating operations for events, including volunteer ushers, food & beverage, engineering, parking and safety & security.
- Participate in financial settlements for cash operations and rental events, observing and enforcing all financial controls established by the finance department at all times.
Communications and Relationships
- Manage relationships and leases with tenants, as well as with corporate contracted parking clients.
- Champion MOT and the Detroit Opera House in a visible and credible manner both inside and outside the organization
- Support the Detroit Opera House as patron experience-driven organization through all interactions and transactions
- Work collaboratively with the CAO to develop, implement and communicate necessary institutional policies and procedures, as well as training programs
- Participate in the development of proposed annual budgets (income and expenditures). Work closely with leadership and the finance team to track progress on annual facility operating, capital maintenance and upgrades budgets.
- With the CAO, ensure compliance with all city, state, and federal laws, rules, and regulations in accordance with the operation of an entertainment venue, retail space and parking center.
- Oversee the execution of internal projects and events as assigned, including the development, implementation and execution of assigned strategic and annual work plans.
- Work collaboratively and strategically on projects, events and activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned that support MOT’s overall objectives.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- Two or more years of experience managing a public venue, including staff supervisor experience.
- Capital project management and construction oversight experience preferred.
- Knowledge of federal, state, and local regulations governing the operation of public facilities.
- The ability to deliver customer service that exceeds the customer’s expectations.
- The ability to work a flexible schedule including evenings, weekends, and some holidays.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills to successfully interact with diverse groups of people and multiple constituencies.
- The ability to resolve conflicts with the utmost regard for all parties and positive outcomes.
- Demonstrate strong organizational skills with a strong attention to detail.
- Demonstrate independent, mature judgment; convey a professional image and attitude.
- The ability to formulate and execute plans efficiently and effectively.
- Fluency with financial reporting, budgeting and reconciliation.
- Experience working successfully in a team environment.
- Proven communication, leadership and relationship building skills
- Proven ability to act as an advocate for the institution among various stakeholders
- High standards, maturity standing as a visible leader with integrity and trust.
- Flexible and able to multitask; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions; demonstrated resourcefulness in setting priorities and guiding investment in people and systems
- The ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines effectively and with grace.
- A capacity to solve problems with strong strategic, organizational and management abilities.
- The ability to influence decisions through tact, diplomacy and proven relationship building skills.
- An interest in and a dedication to promoting all aspects of MOT’s programs and DOH’s public operations.
Note: The job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee.
Position Reports to: Chief Administrative Officer
Classification status: Full time, exempt, salaried
Last updated: 2/28/18
To Apply for this position in confidence, please send resume and cover letter to:
Michigan Opera Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value diversity in our workforce.