Michigan Opera Theatre Jobs & Part-Time Opportunities
Michigan Opera Theatre, a non-profit organization, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Michigan Opera Theatre is supported by private donations, foundation and corporate grants, the State of Michigan through the Michigan Council for the Arts and Cultural Affairs, and by the National Endowment for the Arts, a federal Agency.
Learn how you can become a volunteer at Michigan Opera Theatre.
Assistant Technical Director / Assistant Lighting Designer
In 1996 Michigan Opera Theatre, the major producer of opera and dance in Southeast Michigan, completed renovations on the 1922 Capitol Theatre, re-opening it as the Detroit Opera House. The DOH is home to the opera and dance productions of Michigan Opera Theatre as well as Broadway shows, concerts and smaller events.
The Assistant Technical Director/ Assistant Lighting Designer works directly with the Technical Director supervising and managing productions and events at the Detroit Opera House. The ATD/ALD assumes responsibility for stage operations in the absence of the TD. ALD also acts as the house Lighting Designer for many in-house productions annually.
For opera and dance productions (approx. 10 per year), the ATD/ ALD acts primarily as an Assistant Lighting Designer and is responsible for:
– Assisting the TD with show planning (drafting, ordering, scheduling, etc.)
– Drafting Light Plots and Show Plans as Necessary
– Working closely with the DOH ME to create Rental Packages and Color and Template Orders (Shop Orders)
– Supervising the DOH IATSE crew during light hangs and focusing
– Assisting the Opera LDs with focus, queuing, channel check, running shows by calling follow spot cues, etc.
– Maintaining show paperwork, such as Lightwright files, light and follow spot cue sheets, focus charts, moving light tracking sheets, etc.
– Liaising between the Production Stage Manager and the Lighting Designer, assisting in keeping cue placements and other show data accurate
– Acting as Lighting Designer for the Michigan Opera Theatre Children’s Chorus
– Liaising with the ALD & ATD for MOT’s annual touring opera, assisting with coordinating production departments at each venue.
– Occasional pickups in MOT’s full-size Van or 26’ Box Truck
The Detroit Opera House, in addition to the opera and dance productions, hosts many events throughout the year ranging from weddings and lectures to Broadway touring shows. For events the ATD/ ALD is responsible for:
– Assisting TD with advancing and supervising events, scheduling union crews & coordination between productions
– Maintain Lighting Systems (maintain records, schedule repair & maintenance by union crew/ outside vendors as nec.)
– Maintain accurate inventories of Lighting equipment
– Assist in managing warehouse spaces
The ATD/ ALD position is a 44 week contract.
This position requires weekend and evening hours. Weekly schedule varies.
Salary competitive, benefit package offered.
For full consideration applications should be submitted by July 17, 2015.
Dan Brinker, Technical Director
Michigan Opera Theatre
Applications may be by post or e-mail and should include cover letter, resume, references and contact information.
Maintenance, Ushers, Bar Staff and Security
To apply for part-time maintenance, security, bar staff or staff usher positions, please pick up an application at the security desk at the Madison Avenue stage door entrance.
All other applicants please send your resume to:
Detroit Opera House
Detroit, MI 48226
You can also fax your resume to 313.237.3412.
Thank you for your interest in Michigan Opera Theatre and the Detroit Opera House!