If you are looking to host a wedding, concert, play, convention, graduation, corporate event, or private function, please contact:
Why the Detroit Opera House?
An Ideal Location
The Detroit Opera House is one of the crown jewels of downtown Detroit’s burgeoning Entertainment District, which is comprised of six restored theaters, Ford Field, Comerica Park, and three casinos!
We have an 80-space valet lot immediately next to the theatre and the state-of-the-art Herman Frankel | Opera House Parking Center directly across the street, which can accommodate 700 vehicles.
From corporate events to performances and weddings, let us help plan your event at the Detroit Opera House!
For a personal site visit or to request a quote contact:
Events Manager for Michigan Opera Theatre/Detroit Opera House
Hold your large or small corporate event in the Grand Lobby, elevator lobbies, or in any of our other comfortable lounges. We have hosted video premieres, product reveals, and have even had automobiles on stage! Your employees and clients will love it.
At the Detroit Opera House, your performance takes center stage. Flexibility, supreme services and an eager, attentive staff are some of the ingredients that ensure the success of your show.
Theatrical, Dance or Musical Presentations
The expansive Detroit Opera House stage is one of the largest and most technically advanced in North America. Our technical staff will ensure your event meets your expectations.
Large Theater Capacity
The main theater space holds 2,187 total. Main Floor Balcony Boxes Pit seating (if utilized) adds 92 seats.
Large Stage Dimensions
The Detroit Opera House’s stage is the largest in Michigan at 110′ wide by 65′ deep (7,270 sq. ft.). The Proscenium is 30′ high by 53’4″ wide and upstage bustle is 53′ wide by 48′ deep by 26’4″ high.
Your wedding takes center stage at the Detroit Opera House. Your wedding ceremony and reception can be held right on the main stage! Weddings can also be held in the Grand Lobby, elevator lobbies, or in any of our other comfortable lounges.
- Boxes: 171
- Balcony: 1,217
- Main Floor: 1,348
- Main Auditorium Seating Capacity: 2,828
- Both pit lifts raised to house level, each pit lift has potential for 46 seats
- Stage: 110′ wide by 65′ deep (7,270 sq. ft.)
- Proscenium: 30′ high by 53’4″ wide
- Upstage Bustle: 53′ wide by 38′ deep by 26’4″ high
- Boll Hall Rehearsal Studio: 66′ wide by 54′ deep
- Rehearsal Studio Two: 1,400 sq. ft.
- General Motors Opera Café: 58′ wide by 20′ deep
- Grand Foyer and Box Level Grand Foyer: 4,000 sq. ft., including lobbies
- Wasserman Promenade: 2,800 sq. ft.
Accessible seating is available in the orchestra and box levels of the theatre. Patrons requiring special assistance or seat removal should inform the Box Office prior to purchasing tickets.
Posters & Displays
Posters may be created for your event. There are four frames in the Grand Foyer. The two outer frames accept posters 43” by 67.50”. The two center frames accept posters 37.25” by 52.25”. Posters must be mounted on foam core and are held into place by the picture frames. Easels are available for rent. They are adjustable and accommodate most sizes. We traditionally use 24” by 36” posters.. Please note that posters, banners etc. may not be hung from railings in the lobby areas.
The Detroit Opera House operates under agreements with the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE), Locals #38 and #786. All stage work connected with a production will be covered under the terms of that agreement. Stagehands will be used for all work on temporary platforms installed in the auditorium of the theatre as well as the stage. Lobby areas will utilize stagehand labor for all installation of theatrical, electrical or audiovisual equipment. Clients should contact the technical director with complete production requirements to facilitate a labor estimate well in advance of each event.
The facility is a non-smoking environment. The loading dock is available for cast and crew smokers.
Dock is fenced on all sides with access gates for truck entry and auxiliary loading access. Two dock levelers will accommodate trucks higher or lower than standard dock height. An aluminum walk ramp (capacity: 1,000 lbs.) is available for drop frame trailers. The House does not provide forklifts. Total square footage for the dock is approximately 500 sq. ft. All material must travel down an incline into the theatre. This ramp drops 3’ over 22’ of travel. Two Johnson bars and various dollies are available to assist loading.
The loading dock accommodates two 53’ trailers and attached tractors for short periods of time. When parking trucks on the street, it is recommended that drivers remain with the tractors. Long-term trailer accommodations can be made upon request.
Stage & Equipment Specifications
Stage: 110′ wide by 65′ deep (7,270 sq. ft.)
- Irregular shape (see plans for actual shape and details)
- Two 8′ by 8′ traps
- Proscenium: 30′ high by 53’4″ wide
- Upstage Bustle: 53′ wide by 38′ deep, concrete
- Stage Left Wing: 1,000 sq. ft., concrete
- Stage Right Wing: 2,400 sq. ft., concrete
Orchestra Pit: 53′ wide by 32′ deep (1,650 sq. ft.)
- Ample space for 95 musicians
- 16 ft. of pit is under stage and not height adjustable
- Lift comprises the downstage 16 ft. of the pit and is split into upstage and downstage lifts (each lift can be stopped at any height in it’s travel)
- Maximum pit depth 9’6″ below stage level
Rigging & Fly System
Contact the Technical Director for current Line Set Schedule. Additional hang points located down stage of plaster line.
- Counterweight System: 87 line-sets (63′ long), plus one stage left and right tab set
- Arbor Capacity: 1,900 lbs. including batten weight
- 12 – sch. 40 truss battens (63′ long)
- 75 – sch. 80 single pip battens (63′ long)
- 2 – lock rails SL. One at deck and one at pin rail (+40’5″)
- Six lift lines per set. Lines – 5’9″, 17’3″ and 28’9″ left and right of center
- 85 ft. above stage level (grid surface is structural steel grating)
- Roof mounted loft blocks
- 5’8″ by 5’8″ access doors through grating with a beam overhead for hoisting
- Stair access to sixth floor
- Mandatory 20 ft. ladder climb to working grid level
Additional Equipment Available for Rent
Contact the Technical Director for rental information.
- 3 CM Lodestar Chain motors (1/2 ton) running at 16 fpm
- 8 CM Lodestar Chain motors (1 ton)
- Skjonerg 8-channel motor controller
- Eight-chain motor cradles for spotting motors
- Cyclorama pipe available
- Burgundy velour with fringe
- Guillotine only (center split for paging)
- Counterweight hand set operates from stage left, stage level
- Pin rails SL and SR at +40’5″ from deck
- 72 – 8″ grid mounted loft block (sized for 3/4″ rope)
- 10 – four line, 8″ hemp head blocks (sized for 3/4″ rope)
- 32 – single line hemp head blocks (sized for 3/4″ rope)
- 32 – 8″ rope spot blocks (matching well sheaves)
All draperies, other than grand drape, require additional rental fees.
- (1) Black Scrim
- (1) White Scrim
- (1) White plastic rear projection screen
- (1) White bounce drop
- (1) Black Bobbinet
- 6 – 11’ wide by 40’ high legs
- 8 – 12’ wide by 40’ high legs
- 6 – 12’ wide by 30’ high legs
- 2 – 67’ wide by 15’ high borders
- 2 – 65’ wide by 15’ high borders
- 3 – 67’ wide by 12’ high borders
- 1 – 65’ wide by 11’ high border
- 1 – 67’ wide by 7’ high border
- 1 – 70’ wide by 40’ high Black Out curtain
- 1 – approx. 60’ wide by 36’ high Black Out curtain
Storage of empty boxes and unused equipment can be accommodated. On larger shows it may be necessary to load empties back to the truck. Consult the Technical Director to discuss individual needs.
All lighting equipment other than basic power requires additional rental fees. Understand that while the Detroit Opera House does have access to an inventory of lighting equipment, it does not maintain a repertory light plot. Using Detroit Opera House lights for a performance may require the services of a Lighting Designer and a light hang.
- (3) 400A, 3ph company switches USR
- (4) 200A, 3ph utility switches, DL, DR, UL, UR
- (1) 200A, 3ph isolated ground switch for sound (can be used either SR or SL)
ETC Obsession 600 version 2.42 is currently houses in the control booth at the rear of the main orchestra level. Remote focus unit outlet at stage level.
192 ETC Sensor dimmers for the front of house and architectural dimming are located in climate-controlled room in the basement. Three additional 96 dimmer racks are located on the fourth floor stage to service on-stage dimming needs. There is no permanent cabling to the one-stage dimmers. One 6 by 6K ERC rack available for big loads.
- (2) ETC Source 4 Par wide
- (18) 5° ETC Source 4 ellipsoidal (Front-of-House)
- (48) 10° ETC Source 4 ellipsoidal (Front-of-House)
- (46) 19° ETC Source 4 ellipsoidal
- (208) 26° ETC Source 4 ellipsoidal
- (38) 36° ETC Source 4 ellipsoidal
- (13) 50° ETC Source 4 ellipsoidal
- (109) PAR 64 MFL 1K
- (12) PAR 16
- (12) 3” 150 W Fresnel
- (4) Strand Bambino 5K Fresnel
- #683 w/ 5830/3 lenses, with color scrolls
- (10) Far Cyc 1K 3 Cell (4’-6”)
- (16) LT T-3 Strips (7’-9”)
- (20) Mini-strips 3 Ckt, 75W (6’-0”)
Additional Lekos are dedicated FOH for curtain warmers.
- (2) Genie lifts
- (4) EFX Plus 2 units (Fire/Cloud/Water disks)
- (24) Source 4 Lens Tubes 36°
- (6) Source 4 Lens Tubes 50°
Some top hats are available for ETC ellipsodial.
Miscellaneous Cable Accessories
- (10) Boom Bases
- (6) Ladders
- (4) Rolling Booms
- (11) 60′ black xetex fireproof borders
- B Size Template holders
- Footlight hangers for mini-strips
- Robert Juliat 4.5° Aramis followspots, 208v units
- (6) color booms and frost
Sound & Video
- FOH Console: DDA-CS3, 4 Buss, 6 Aux, 32 Channel (Analog)
- (2) DbX 231 (2 Ch. 31 Band 1/3rd Octave EQ)
- (1) DbX 166 XL (2 Ch. Compressor/Limitor)
- (4) EAW JFX 590 (Mains)
- (4) EAW JFX 590 (Center Cluster)
- (2) EAW SB 180 ZR (Subs)
- (2) EAW JF80 (Under Balcony)
- 32 Channel, 8 Aux Whirlwind Snake, Installed SR to FOH Mix
- 8 Channel, Crown Power Amps
- Wireless: (2) Sennhieser EW100 Handheld
- Wired: Miscellaneous Sure Mics (SM57)
- CD/DVD/Cassette Players as necessary
- 200A isolated ground service at SL/SR (service is 200A total for both panels)
A dressing room paging system is installed. Microphone is down stage right. An emergency paging system, covering the entire backstage and public space is also installed. It is also located from stage right and control booth.
Hearing Impaired System
A Williams hearing impaired system is installed for the auditorium. There are currently 25 headsets available.
- Clearcom CS-210 Main Station 2 ch
- CS-100 Main Station
- 501 Belt-Pack
- (7) Wired Headsets
- HME RW 800 Base Station
- (8) Wireless BH 800 Belt-Pack
The Opera House has video equipment in-house to accomplish a number of specific tasks. A balcony rail mounted camera feeds the stage manager’s console and a number of backstage and lobby monitors with a show program feed. If needed, a camera mounted in the pit is focused on the conductor and the feed sent to monitors on the balcony rail, the stage manager’s console and roving monitors on stage.
Wardrobe: 725 sq. ft.
- Wardrobe room at basement level with freight elevator access
- 2 Washers, 2 Dryers Rolling wardrobe racks available upon request
- Dressing Rooms
- Conductor’s Dressing Room 185 sq. feet with private washroom
- (3) Chorus Dressing Rooms 500 sq. ft. each and suitable for up to 12 performers each
- Musician’s Lounge: 750 sq. ft.
- (3) Principal/Star Dressing Rooms with a washroom and shower in each and suitable for 1-2 performers each
- Room 211: 175 sq. ft. with washroom attached: suitable for 3-5 performers
- Room 213: 120 sq. ft. with washroom attached: suitable for 3-5 performers
- Room 214: 145 sq. ft. with washroom attached: suitable for 3-5 performers
This dressing room has limited availability during Opera Season. Contact the Technical Director for specific information.
- Unisex Chorus room with full men’s and women’s washrooms attached: suitable for 35-40 performers
The Detroit Opera House operates under an agreement with the Detroit Federation of Musicians, local 5, AF of M. All auditorium events requiring local musicians must engage them and the terms of this agreement. Please contact the Technical Director for more information.
Orchestra Pits: 1,650 sq. ft.
- Ample space for 95 musicians
- 53’ wide and 32’ deep including the under stage space
- 16 ft. of pit is under stage and not height adjustable.
- Maximum pit depth is 9’ 6” below stage level
Lift comprises the downstage 16 ft. of the pit and is split into upstage and downstage lifts. Each lift may be stopped at any height in its travel.
Musician’s Lounge: 750 sq. ft.
- Washrooms are located down the hall and are shared with the Chorus Dressing Rooms
Orchestra Chairs & Stands Available for Rent
- (95) black padded Shelby Williams straight chairs
- (7) Roc-n-Soc bass stools
- (8) Plexiglass sound shields
- Manhasset music stand with lights